Multi-City Grants Manager, Government Innovation Team
New York City
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
The Government Innovation programs build the capacity of local governments to solve problems effectively. Its initiatives – ranging from large-scale international innovation competitions to domestic efforts that help mayors hone their management skills and better use data in decision-making – equip local leaders with practical tools and approaches they can use to address local challenges. We currently invest in more than 200 municipal governments worldwide through grants, technical assistance, and participation programs. Our work environment is collegial, hard driving, and committed to outstanding results.
The Multi-City Grants Manager will primarily manage a portfolio of city investments designed to test and refine promising public sector innovations as part of the Mayors Challenge competitions. The Mayors Challenge is a competition designed to help city leaders think big, be bold and uncover inventive – and, ultimately shareable – ideas that tackle today’s toughest problems. Over four iterations of the Mayors Challenge, the competition has launched in three geographic regions and has crowned 24 cities as winners. The Mayors Challenge first launched in 2013 in the United States. In 2014, the Mayors Challenge took place in Europe, in 2016 in Latin America, and in 2017 back in the United States. The first three challenges crowned five winning cities, while the most recent Mayors Challenge crowned 9 winners.
- Liaise with mayors and senior staff on Bloomberg Philanthropies grants and programming in cities
- Provide technical assistance to and serve as a thought partner for grantees, helping to solve problems and drive project success
- Work with grantees to help them reach stretch goals for growth and improvement
- Identify grantee challenges, develop recommendations for management assistance interventions, and prioritize interventions with grantees; track effectiveness of interventions
- Develop, implement, and manage strategies for measuring and tracking program outcomes and impacts against goals and grant requirements
- Monitor grantee performance through analysis of outcome data, grantee reports and site visits
- Produce compelling content that the our various content and communications teams can use and disseminate
- Communicate project goals and updates in a clear way
- Highlight specific grantee accomplishments
- Document lessons learned across cities
- Lead on special projects on an as needed basis and otherwise assist with ongoing program initiatives part of the broader Government Innovation portfolio
- Research and develop strategies for expanding the reach and impact of existing initiatives
- Work with and manage external consultants to achieve deadlines and produce results
- At least ten years of relevant, full-time work experience in government, consulting, public policy, and/or related field; direct experience in local government strongly preferred
- Experience working and communicating with senior leaders within an organization
- Expert project management and demonstrated track record of delivering superior-quality results
- Strong capacity to identify and elevate critical information and produce synthesis for colleagues
- Demonstrated passion for public sector innovation and familiarity with urban issues
- Ability to influence and motivate others to achieve objectives
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, and analytical skills
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with a decentralized team
- Comfort working in high pressure environments and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.